COVID-19 affects every individual differently. While some people don’t experience any symptoms, others may have severe symptoms that require hospitalization. In some cases, an individual may be asymptomatic, which is when they do not experience any symptoms of COVID-19.
The coronavirus that causes COVID-19 can still pass to others even if you are not currently showing any symptoms. COVID-19 tests can detect asymptomatic cases, so it’s essential to test individuals to prevent the spread of the virus.
Symptoms of COVID-19
Symptoms of COVID-19 typically appear within two to 14 days after exposure. Some of the most common symptoms include:
- Fever and chills.
- Body or muscle aches.
- Vomiting or nausea.
- New loss of taste or smell.
- Congestion or a runny nose.
- Sore throat.
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
Asymptomatic and presymptomatic refer to individuals who do not show signs or symptoms of COVID-19, but there is a difference between these two terms. An asymptomatic individual has tested positive for COVID-19 and will not show any symptoms throughout the illness. Presymptomatic means that you have a positive COVID-19 test result but have not developed any symptoms yet.
When the Asymptomatic Should Participate in Testing
Testing asymptomatic individuals post COVID-19 exposure is especially important when determining risks for vulnerable family or community members. There are three main reasons why an individual would undergo asymptomatic COVID-19 testing:
- Asymptomatic exposure testing: The individual was exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 but is not experiencing any symptoms.
- Asymptomatic preprocedure testing: This testing may be a requirement before elective surgeries, procedures and immunocompromising treatments even if the individual is not showing symptoms of COVID-19.
- Asymptomatic surveillance testing: An individual may be subject to asymptomatic surveillance testing for contact tracing purposes or workplace policies.
Whether you must use a rapid antigen, molecular or PCR test for asymptomatic testing will vary depending on your organization’s specific needs and purposes.
Learn More About SUNLINE Supply Today
COVID-19 tests are an accurate way to detect asymptomatic cases to reduce transmission in high-risk settings. At SUNLINE Supply, we carry a wide range of rapid antigen and antibody testing kits that individuals can buy in bulk to improve the overall health and safety of workplaces, hospitals and schools.
SUNLINE Supply carries the highest-rated personal protective equipment (PPE). We offer 24/7 sales availability and quick shipping speeds with the option to purchase immediate shipping. To learn more about SUNLINE Supply and our selection of testing kits, face masks and other PPE, please complete our contact form today!